Monday, September 19, 2011

Is Google Taking Over the World?


 Before you start reading let me forewarn you, I am in no way, shape, or form against Google.  This is simply a post to get you thinking and to drive conversation.

some_textI know many people, including myself, have turned the word GOOGLE into a verb.  I am not "searching" the web, I am Googling, the web.  This made me realize how dependant many individuals are on Google.  I'm not saying this is a terrible thing, but is Google's presence monopolistic?   FairSearch (www.FairSearch.org) was brought to my attention and there is some very interesting material on the site.  Here's their About Us section:


FairSearch.org is a group of businesses and organizations united to promote a healthy Internet future, where economic growth is driven by competition, transparency and innovation in search verticals and online services. We believe in enforcement of existing laws to prevent dominant companies from engaging in anticompetitive behavior and to protect investment and choice across the Internet ecosystem.

Until I dug around this site a little bit, I never realized the impact Google was having on my life.

Like I've mentioned in an earlier post, my Dad is a small business owner.  I read an article about how Google has the power and ability to change its ranking of your site without warning, explanation, or any sort of appeals process.  This is scary for ANY small business owner.  Many small businesses do not have the means to compete with other large companies for these top rated spots.  Here's the link to the article, you should give it a look:
http://dmjuice.desmoinesregister.com/article/20110904/OPINION01/309040027/1035/OPINION

So, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment